By: Daisy Hemmen
There are so many different types of underwear for women. Each day, you carefully plan your outfit to maximize fashion and comfort. Your top and pants coordinate perfectly and they’re made out of buttery smooth fabrics that feel amazing on your skin. You often finish your look with soft, warm socks and comfy flats.
But, as you get into your car to drive to work, you realize that something isn’t right. Despite the high-quality, comfortable clothing you picked out, you neglected to pay close attention to your underwear, and now you're stuck in an itchy pair that bunches up uncomfortably.
Ugh. We’ve all been there. Luckily, this guide to hipster vs bikini underwear will help you understand the differences between the cuts of the two styles and when to wear each type. You’ll never have a bad underwear day again.
What is the Difference Between Hipster and Bikini Underwear?
The biggest difference between hipster and bikini underwear is the cut. Hipsters have a wide waistband that covers your hips—hence the name. In contrast, bikini underwear has a narrow waistband and high-cut leg holes.1 Let’s examine the construction and situations in which you’d wear each style in more detail.
Hipster Underwear 101
Hipsters have become increasingly popular and have grabbed a large share of the underwear market. They have many features women look for in quality panties, including:
- A flattering fit – The hipster sits on your hips and covers your stomach. This prevents your undies from squeezing your middle and producing the dreaded muffin top. They also provide good coverage of your backside for a smooth look. And the hipster is one of the few styles that can fit any body type. They also come in various styles, such as hipster bikini underwear. Knowing how to measure your hips and waist will be key in finding the perfect fit.
- Flexibility – Hipsters can be worn under your garments that have a low waistband without peeking over the top. They’re equally comfy under your high-waisted shorts or jeans.
- Hip coverage – The wide waistband of the hipster gives you a sleek silhouette under just about any outfit. If you opt for the seamless variety, you won’t have to worry about visible panty lines, even under a tighter skirt or pair of pants.
When Should You Wear Hipsters?
Hipsters are a wonderful, all-purpose style of underwear. They’re ideal for wear with many of your favorite outfits, including:
- Form-fitting pants
- Low-rise jeans or shorts
- Sporty and comfortable loungewear
- Short-hemmed skirts or dresses
You’ll love the hip coverage and no-bunch fit of your hipsters.
Bikini Underwear 101
Bikini underwear represents a more traditional look that many women still love to wear. Some of the key features of bikinis include:
- Material variety – You can find bikini underwear made from just about any fabric imaginable, including cotton, lace, polyester, bamboo, and more. Whatever your favorite color, pattern, or material is, there is probably a pair of bikini underwear out there to match.
- Full to moderate coverage – Bikini bottoms come in a variety of cuts as well. They can be full with good backside coverage or moderate with thin sides and less coverage for your rear.
- High-cut legs – High-cut leg holes are what differentiates bikinis from hipsters. Both sit low on your hips, but bikinis show your hips instead of covering them. Because of this feature, your panty lines will be more visible with bikinis than they will with hipsters.
When Should You Wear Bikinis?
You’ll want to dig around your underwear drawer and pull out your favorite bikini underwear when you’re wearing:
- Clothing with a low-rise waist
- Loose-fitting bottoms
- Exercise gear
- Dresses with flared skirts
Bikinis aren’t a good choice when you’re rocking your tight-fit sustainable leggings. The more moderate coverage on your hips and backside means that your panty lines will be visible under your tighter garments.
Which is Best: Hipster vs Bikini?
Both hipsters and bikinis are solid underwear options in the right situation. The best choice for you depends on:
- Which you’re most comfortable wearing
- The style of clothing you’re pairing them with
- Your activities for that day
However, your best bet for all undies is to select high-quality products. When you shop, you should look for undergarments that:
- Fit comfortably around your legs, hips, and waist
- Don’t ride up, sag, or bunch when you move
- Are made from soft, moisture-wicking materials like bamboo viscose
- Use sustainable fabrics to protect the environment
- Have a seamless construction for a smooth silhouette
- Flatters your shape
Shopping for these features will ensure a comfy fit. But if you still can’t make up your mind between the two, you can always get hipster bikini underwear.
Find Your Perfect Fit with Boody Eco Wear
Your perfect outfit won’t be complete without the right underwear. Hipsters are best worn with low-rise pants and skirts. They’re also an excellent choice when wearing low-rise pants since the waistband won’t show. Bikinis come in several varieties and are a solid multi-purpose style. Women’s briefs are also comfortable, but let’s tackle the hipsters vs briefs debate in a separate article.
If new bamboo underwear is on your to-do list, you’ll find everything you need at Boody Eco Wear. Our hipsters and bikinis are made from sustainable bamboo viscose. They come in several colors and styles, so you’ll always have the right pair to wear with your favorite outfit. Shop our collection today.
About the Author:
Daisy Hemmen is a San Diego State University Fowler College of Business alumni. Based in Encinitas, California, Daisy is a part of the marketing team at Boody North America. She is passionate about learning the ins and outs of living a happy and healthy lifestyle that benefits both people and the planet, and enjoys sharing her bountiful findings with the community.
- Adhav, Lauren. "A Breakdown of All the Types of Underwear You Might Need in Your Lingerie Drawer." Cosmopolitan. 28 June 2019, https://bonazzieavvocati.com/style-beauty/fashion/a28194554/underwear-types-styles-women/