By: Daisy Hemmen
Men’s underwear gets far less attention than women’s. Perhaps this is because there are fewer pieces to worry about. However, the question of boxers vs. briefs lingers on many men’s tongues as it isn’t always clear which type you should wear and when.
If you’ve often wondered if you’re wearing the right underwear for the occasion, the good news is, as long as you’re comfortable, you’re probably just fine. The best underwear for you is that which you feel comfy and confident while wearing.
In this article, we will examine the difference between boxers and briefs and some situations when you’ll likely prefer wearing one instead of the other.
Get To Know Men’s Underwear
So, what’s the difference between boxer briefs, boxers and briefs? Let’s take a quick look at what makes a pair of underwear one or the other (or neither):
- Boxers – These are your comfy, loose-fitting undies that fit like your favorite pair of shorts. They can be cotton, polyester, or another material. A lot of men prefer the classic boxers because they provide more coverage.
- Briefs – Briefs are tight-fitting and add extra support. They’re built like bikini bottoms, so they don’t cover your thighs.
- Boxer briefs – As the name implies, these are a combo of the tight, stretchy fit of a brief and the thigh coverage of boxers.
Is It Better to Wear Boxers or Briefs?
Whether you prefer wearing boxers or tighter underwear, ultimately, the choice is a matter of personal preference. There are a few things to consider when deciding which type of underwear is best for you, such as:
- Comfort – The number one thing you should be concerned with when deciding which underwear you should put on each day is comfort. If your thighs chafe after a long day, or you’re constantly readjusting yourself, then you’re probably not wearing the right underwear.
- Functionality – Your underwear should offer the support you need. When you’re lounging around at home, you don’t need to worry about bouncing. But at the gym, you want everything to be held snugly in place. When you live an active lifestyle, wearing tight fitting underwear isn't always the answer. One way you can get the support you need is by choosing underwear with a jockstrap.
- Durability – We get it—underwear can be pricey. You want high-quality pairs made from breathable, sustainable underwear materials that last for a long time.
- Price – It might be tempting to buy the cheapest pack of underwear on the shelf, but those aren’t going to meet your needs for comfort and durability. It’s wise to spend a little more for quality that won’t fall apart after a few wears. But you don’t have to break the bank either. Other underwear makers design and create quality pieces that are just as durable as designer underwear brands.
When Should You Wear Boxers?
Boxers evoke casual comfort. They’re the ultimate choice for lounging around the house on a lazy Saturday morning with a cup of coffee. To keep it simple, the situations that call for boxers should also be laid-back and comfy. Boxers pair best with:
- Loose jeans
- Comfy sweatpants
- Longer shorts
Just be sure to keep in mind that boxers don’t offer any support. They aren’t a wise choice for working out. However, boxer briefs are perfect for pairing with your favorite workout gear. You’ll get the support of briefs and avoid any uncomfortable bouncing when you run or jump. The thigh-covering length that distinguishes them from regular briefs helps keep them in place when you move.
Boxer briefs will also prevent chafing between your legs. They’re often made from moisture-wicking materials that help keep you dry and comfortable, even during the most intense workouts.
When Are Briefs a Better Choice?
Briefs shine when you need a smooth silhouette under your clothing. Choose briefs when you’re wearing fitted clothing, such as:
- Straight-legged pants
- Tailored suits
- Slim-fitting shorts
The extra support will keep everything comfortably in place, and the minimal fabric will prevent awkward bunching around your thighs.
True or False: Does Your Underwear Selection Affect Sperm Production?
A Harvard study caused quite a stir among those who prefer the support of briefs and boxer briefs when it claimed that men who frequently wear tight underwear experience lower sperm counts and poorer quality sperm.1 While some tight-fitting underwear preferring men in this study did have lower sperm concentration, there were several problems with the study, including:
- Men self-reported the type of underwear they wore
- Those included in the study were already seeking fertility treatment
- BMI and age also impacted sperm counts
- Testing was only conducted in the morning, not accounting for hormonal swings
Therefore, while the underwear choice of some men might impact sperm counts, the general consensus is that you can safely wear your favorite briefs without detriment to your fertility.
Change when necessary
The answer to this men’s underwear debate is to choose whichever you’re most comfortable wearing. Whether they’re compression shorts, boxer briefs, or even tighty whities, what’s just as important as underwear style is knowing how often to replace underwear and how to wash underwear. Wearing used underwear exposes your genitals to microbes and other bacteria that fester on the underwear and may even cause infection.
Boody Eco Wear: The Best In Comfort and Sustainability
For you, the man who wants comfortable underwear for all occasions, a mixture of boxers (like bamboo boxer briefs) and briefs in your drawer is ideal. You’ll have the best fit for work, relaxation, and the gym. If you need to overhaul your collection, we have both boxers and briefs in our collection.
As a bonus, when you buy your underwear from Boody Eco Wear, you’ll receive extremely comfortable clothing that’s better for the environment. We think you’ll love our soft, simple design and the durability of our products. Check out our men’s bamboo underwear today and get ready for a more comfortable tomorrow.
About the Author:
Daisy Hemmen is a San Diego State University Fowler College of Business alumni. Based in Encinitas, California, Daisy is a part of the marketing team at Boody North America. She is passionate about learning the ins and outs of living a happy and healthy lifestyle that benefits both people and the planet, and enjoys sharing her bountiful findings with the community.
- Human Reproduction. Type of Underwear Worn and Markers of Testicular Function Among Men Attending a Fertility Center. https://academic.oup.com/humrep/article/33/9/1749/5066758
- Bissell Centre, "5 Reasons Why EVERYONE Needs Clean Underwear," Bissell, Accessed November 11, 2021, https://bonazzieavvocati.com/blog/2019/07/16/5-reasons-why-everyone-needs-clean-underwear/c